Saturday, April 5, 2008

Up through the atmosphere

So, it turns out that springtime in DC is just like in the coloring books. March wind, April rain, the whole bit. Seriously. Popcorn popping, too. I never fully understood it before moving here.

One of the best parts of this is the yearly kite festival on the mall. They just plan it for March, and it's always windy. Amazing. There are hundreds of people flying hundreds of kites -- butterflies, pirate ships, racecars, you name it -- and this year I saw the kite fighting contest, which was exciting a) because it's a fight, and b) because it reminded me of one of my favorite books/movies, The Kite Runner. (Seriously, it's probably the best adaptation of a book into a movie I've ever seen. Ever. Watch it. See the trailer here.)

This is the launch of the first heat (sorry about the quality, my camera battery died and I took this with my phone):



And here's a kite getting cut down (umm, don't mind my finger -- yes, I was struggling with the videography skills on Saturday):



And a close call:


Here are a few more pictures of the kite festival and the cherry blossoms (most of these are Layla's due to my dead camera battery):

No comments: